Trends in use of medical services by the elderly in British Columbia

Research

Related Publications

Suter E, Misfeldt R, Mallinson S, Wilhelm A, Boakye O, Marchildon G, et al. Comparative Review of the Policy Landscape of Team-based Primary Health Care Service Delivery in Western Canada. Alberta Health Services; 2014.
Laberge M, Pang J, Walker K, Wong ST, Hogg W, Wodchis WP. QUALICOPC (Quality and Costs of Primary Care) Canada: A focus on the aspects of primary care most highly rated by current patients of primary care practices. Ottawa, ON: Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement; 2014.
McGregor MJ, Abu-Laban RB, Ronald L, McGrail KM, Andrusiek D, Baumbusch J, et al. Nursing Home Characteristics Associated with Resident Transfers to Emergency Department. Canadian Journal on Aging. 2012;33(1):38-48.
Koehoorn M, McLeod CB, Fan JK, McGrail KM, Barer ML, Cote P, et al. Do private clinics or expedited fees improve wait- or return-to-work times for injured workers following knee surgery? Healthcare Policy. 2011;5(3):17-26.
Sutherland JM, Barer ML, Evans RG, Crump RT. Will paying the piper change the tune? Healthcare Policy. 2011;6(4):16-24.

Publication Topics

Trends in use of medical services by the elderly in British Columbia

Title
Publication TypeJournal Article
Year of Publication1989
AuthorsBarer ML, Pulcins IR, Evans RG, Hertzman C, Lomas J, Anderson GM
JournalCMAJ : Canadian Medical Association journal = journal de l'Association medicale canadienneCMAJ
Volume141
Issue1
Pages39 - 45
Date Published1989
KeywordsAdolescent, Adult, Age Factors, Aged, Aged, 80 and over, British Columbia, Child, Child, Preschool, Diagnostic Services/economics/utilization, Fees, Medical, Female, Health Services for the Aged/economics/utilization, Humans, Infant, Male, Medicine, Middle Aged, Sex Factors, Specialization, Time Factors
AbstractWe analysed physician fee-for-service use in British Columbia from 1974-75 to 1985-86. Over the study period use increased by 5.3% per year. This can be factored into increases attributable to changes in the age structure of the population (0.4% per year), general population growth (1.8%, for a combined annual "population effect" of 2.2%) and age-specific increases in per-capita use (3% per year). The average annual increase for people aged 75 years or more was 5.5% per capita. The area with the fastest growth in use by the elderly was specialist care, particularly diagnostic services. The average number of specialists seen by people aged 75 years or more doubled over the study period. Our results suggest that increased per-capita use among the elderly that is unrelated to aging of the population should be the main focus of future policy attention. Additional analyses are needed to determine the underlying dynamics of this dramatic increase in rates of use among the elderly.
Citation Key276